Sonya Sellmeyer

By Sonya Sellmeyer, Consumer Advocacy Officer for the Iowa Insurance Division

Before leaving for vacation or having a pool party, the Iowa Insurance Division would like to remind you to ensure your summer fun is protected by having adequate insurance.

Summer Vacations:

When leaving the house this summer for an extended period, ensure your home security system and cameras are in good working order.  Know the coverages under your policy in case a break-in does occur.  Complete a home inventory by using the National Association of Insurance Commissioner’s home inventory app. If there are items on your home inventory worth more than coverage allowed by your policy, discuss a special endorsement with a licensed insurance agent.

Also, consider travel insurance for your vacation. 


According to nineteen Iowa lives were lost in 2020 due to distracted driving, and over 90 percent of all crashes are behavior-related. The website reminds us to drive chilldrive soberfocus on the roadstay alert, and buckle up. Check with your licensed insurance agent to ensure you have the maximum amount of liability coverage that is affordable, and at least Iowa's minimum insurance requirements.  

Anything with Wheels:

Any outdoor equipment with wheels such as motorbikes, golf carts, and all-terrain vehicles can be fun with the proper coverages in case of an accident.  Speak to your licensed insurance agent about the necessary policies and coverage levels.  If you have a boat, speak to your licensed insurance agent about watercraft insurance. 

Pools and Trampolines: 

Inform your agent before purchasing a pool or trampoline.  Your insurance carrier may require safety measures for a fence or locked gate for a pool, or netting for a trampoline. Be aware trampolines may not be covered by your homeowners insurance due to the liability risks, and your insurance company may cancel you if you don’t notify them of the purchase. Also, premium rates may increase with the purchase of either.  Your licensed insurance agent can assist you with coverages and ensure you have the proper liability protection. 


Know your local laws regarding firework usage. Your homeowners or rental policy dictates the coverages provided by their damage. Homeowners or renters policies exclude damage for illegal or intentional acts. If damage is caused by a third party using fireworks, their insurance may cover any damage or injury through their liability protection. 

Umbrella policies may provide coverages beyond your existing insurance policy or when claims may be excluded. Coverage may include property damage, injuries, certain lawsuits, and personal liability.  Discuss umbrella coverage with your licensed insurance agent as an additional level of protection. 

Summer brings outdoor fun and risks. Ensure your insurance needs are adequate as you enjoy summer.