Insurers doing business in Iowa are classified as one of the following:

  • Domestic. A company that is domiciled and organized under Iowa law.
  • Foreign. A company that is domiciled in a state other than Iowa.
  • Alien. A company that is domiciled in a country other than the United States and is seeking accredited or certified reinsurer status.
  • Surplus lines, Risk Retention Groups or Purchasing Groups

To form a new domestic insurance company in Iowa, the company must schedule a meeting with the Company Regulation bureau of the Iowa Insurance Division.  Following the meeting, a completed Uniform Certificate of Authority Application (UCAA) will be required.

To have a foreign insurance company do business in Iowa, you must complete the Uniform Certificate of Authority Application (UCAA).  Fees related to admission are retaliatory.

An alien insurance company seeking to do business in Iowa for their Certified or Accredited reinsurer status must comply with Iowa Code 521B and Iowa Administrative Code 191-5.33.