Managing general agents, commonly known as a MGA, manage all or part of the business of an insurer.

All licensed insurance producers in the state of Iowa are eligible to act as a managing general agent.  Individuals or entities holding a managing general agent license in their home state but not in Iowa need to obtain a non-resident producer license in Iowa through the National Insurance Producer Registry (NIPR).  

A managing general agent must comply with Iowa Code chapter 510 and may be required to provide a bond or an errors and omissions policy at the request of the Iowa Insurance Division.