Continuing Education compliance and license renewal must be completed prior to the expiration date on the license. See Iowa Administrative Code Chapter 191.11.

You may view your CE transcript at

Only courses approved by the Iowa Insurance Division will satisfy the Iowa CE requirement.

Credits Required

Major lines of authority

36 credits are required of which at least three (3) credits must be in the subject of Ethics. Self-study credits that do not count towards obtaining a national designation are limited. Only half the producer's credits (18) may be obtained as self-study if they are non]designation courses. The exams must be closed book and monitored. A passing grade of 70% is required.

Public Adjuster

An individual who holds a public adjuster license shall satisfactorily complete a minimum of 24 credits of continuing education, including 2 credits of ethics, reported on a biennial basis in conjunction with the license renewal cycle.

Crop Only

A producer who holds a license with only Crop, have a CE requirement of 15 General hours and 3 Ethics hours)

In lieu of CE hours, to meet CE compliance, the producer may retake the insurance exams for the lines of authority they wish to renew.

Iowa Administrative Code: Chapter 11, 191-11.3 (505, 522B)

Continuing education requirements for producers. 11.3(7) A producer may elect to comply with the CE requirements by taking and passing the appropriate licensing examination for each qualification held by the producer. a .A producer who holds property and casualty lines of authority must successfully complete the commercial insurance subject examination. b .A producer who holds an excess and surplus line of authority must successfully complete the examination for the excess and surplus line of authority and the commercial insurance

Retaking exams may be done 90 days prior to the license expiration date. A copy of the Pearson Vue examination pass report needs to be submitted to the Division so the producer's file can be updated to show CE compliant.


  • A producer who is licensed for only credit or surety.
  • A producer who is an attorney licensed to sell insurance. Licensed attorneys who are also producers need to submit to the Division proof of continuing legal education for the appropriate calendar years during the CE term.
  • A nonresident producer who lives in a state where CE is required.